We are all guilty of it...getting home after a long day and neglecting to take inside some items from our vehicle that we know we should. We know that it can take that extra self-push to take out what needs to be brought in, and understanding why you should never leave these items in your vehicle overnight can help you make the extra effort.
Actually, some items on our list may surprise you. You may have never thought that the following items shouldn't be kept in your vehicle, but we promise that the reasons are valid. Some items can even pose a safety hazard in extreme weather conditions. Here are some items never to leave in your vehicle overnight:
- The most important is valuables. Never leave a laptop, phone, camera, or other valuable in your car overnight - especially in plain sight. While this may seem like common sense, if you live in a safe area you may not think that anyone would break into your vehicle. However, you never know where crime could strike, so avoiding having any valuables in your car can save you from so much stress and save you money.
- Food and drink should never be left in your vehicle. Food can obviously spoil and leave your car smelling awful, but it will also be at much more risk for food-borne illness.
- Aerosol cans can be dangerous when left in the heat, because pressurized cans can explode under high heat.
- Sunscreen left in your vehicle actually decreases the affect of the SPF and decreases its shelf life.
- Plastic bottles left in the heat of your car can start to omit BPA into your drink, which is extremely harmful to your health.
- Batteries are also at risk for damage, corrosion, and leaking when left in the heat of a car.
- And of course, we don't have to mention this but we will any way - NEVER leave a child or animal unattended in a car, even if the windows are down.
We hope that these tips will be helpful when it comes to to avoiding messes and break-ins while you leave your vehicle parked. If your vehicle happens to need a service or repair, give us a call here at TOS Auto Repair or shop by our shop today!