This is what it feels like when you have organized space: just like a lotus flower next to a lily pad. Springtime is the perfect time to organize your car. It makes you happier, reduces stress, and helps you to live longer. OK, maybe not the last one, but we could still argue that. When you organize your car, you can find what you need when you need it. When you organize your car, there is room for people to sit in the front seat next to you. When you organize your car, your passengers can get to the things they need when they need them — especially children. A clean, organized vehicle is like an oasis. It can be your getaway that is better than a spa. In some ways, that is true. Not in all ways.
Start by thoroughly cleaning your car from the outside in. A thorough exterior wash and wax is the perfect place to begin. This is also a great time to get to the underside of your car and make sure that there is no rust-causing chemicals or debris stuck in your undercarriage. After the outside is all clean and sparkly, start working on the inside. It begins with removing all of the trash and putting everything away that has been accumulating all winter. Anything that does not belong in your car move to the garage, the house, or Goodwill. Don’t be afraid to live by those lyrics, ‘Let it go!’
Here are some inexpensive, easy ways to start the car-organization process:
- For $25 or less you can buy a storage bin made explicitly for the back of your car. This can be a great place to store items for your emergency kit such as blankets, water, jumper cables, etc.
- A smaller-size shoe caddy can hang from the back of your car seat and be used for smaller items that you want to keep in reach of your passengers: hand wipes, sunscreen, tissues, and the likes.
- Plastic bags with zippers are a great way to cut down on the clutter and help you stay organized. You can have one bag for each of the following: emergency kit, first aid kit, snacks, crayons, anything else you can imagine, want or need. After getting this far, you take these neat and tidy bags and put them in a bin that you can keep in your trunk or the very back of your car. Makes it super easy for you to reach in and grab what you need when you need it.
- From the dollar store, you can pick up carabiners that attach to the headrest of your seat. These serve as great places to hang up items like umbrellas and purses.
- In your cup holders, you can place paper muffin cups. This isn’t as related to organization, but it does make for super easy cleanup.
- For your glove box, purchase a small expandable file that can hold your important documents.
The more you are organized, the better you feel about driving your car. It can indeed become a sanctuary for you away from the craziness of your office or home. It helps cut down on stress and frustration, lowers blood pressure, and can, therefore, extend your life. Well, we might be exaggerating on that one a bit, but you get the gist!
When you are getting your car in order, the team at TOS automotive is here to make sure the rest of your vehicle is organized and in excellent working condition too. Schedule an appointment today if you are ready for us to help. TOS Auto Repair is located at 5916 Auburn Blvd., Citrus Heights, CA 95621. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM through 5:30 PM. Happy spring everyone!