It doesn't take a car expert to know that your engine runs under very hot temperatures. That is why a cooling system is in place to keep your engine from overheating. The cooling system is reliant on this particular fluid called coolant. Furthermore, a coolant flush is one major service that drivers have to get done to keep your cooling system healthy.
Before we get into coolant flushes, we should start with the basics. Often, you may hear individuals throwing out the terms "antifreeze" and "coolant" interchangeably. Are coolant and antifreeze the same thing? They are and aren't; here's what they are:
- Antifreeze is a powerful solution composed of alcohol (ethylene glycol, propylene glycol, or methanol), phosphates, and/or silicates. Antifreeze is what provides the coolant with its temperature-resistant and anti-rust characteristics.
- Coolant is simply a mixture of antifreeze and water. Coolant is the technical name for the fluid that flows in your car's cooling system. It is also the product that you can find bottled up in stores.
Symptoms That Indicate You Need a Coolant Flush
- Temperature gauge rising
- Coolant leaks around your vehicle
- Grinding noises from under the hood
- Visible corrosion in the fluid or radiator
- Steam coming from under the hood
- Sweet, syrupy smell
Coolant Flush in Citrus Heights, CA
If you experience these symptoms and need a coolant flush soon, we invite you to bring your car to our Citrus Heights auto repair shop today. The certified technicians at TOS Auto Repair will give you a proper cooling system inspection and let you know if any repairs are needed.